Status of portupgrade and portmaster?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Sun Oct 1 04:02:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 12:30:14PM -0700, Don Lewis wrote:
> it illustrates the problem of synth being the only real
> consumer of the ADA toolchain (which John also maintained)
> on FreeBSD.

It's only fair to point out that John did a great deal of work
on Ada on FreeBSD.  However ...

> Another issue is that synth is only available on x86 because that
> is what the toolchain limits it to

This, to me, is what always stuck in my craw.

I think John may have done some work on Ada on armv6 and/or aarch64
but I would have to go check to be sure.  There is a _possibility_
that with sufficient effort it could be made to work there.  But
AFAICT there was never any realistic chance it could work on
mips,
powerpc, or sparc64.

Now, you might claim those aren't deal-breakers, but IMVHO
not
having it working on both armv6 and aarch64, at production
quality,
*is* one -- those two need to be first-class citizens going forward
(e.g. for 12.0).

mcl