Time for a firefox-56 port?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 04:21:13 UTC 2017

On Nov 25, 2017 7:50 PM, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:

On Saturday, 25 November 2017 at 22:27:47 -0500, Adam McDougall wrote:
> On 11/23/2017 20:11, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> I've just installed the latest version of firefox and confirmed that
>> it breaks both of the addons that make firefox bearable for me
>> (firemacs, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firemacs/
>> and It's All Text!,
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/its-all-text/).  So I
>> can't use it.
>>
>> I'm sure I'm not the only person who relies on old addons.  How about
>> a firefox-56 port until the current problems die down?
>
> I think www/firefox-esr would give you something like 6 months more of
> pre-57 codebase?

Yes, I saw that, but the pkg-descr doesn't say what good it is, and
the Makefile shows that it's based on 52.5.0, which seems to be rather
older than necessary.

> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

Thanks.  That helps.  I've updated pkg-descr.  It also shows that
52.5.0 in fact corresponds to Firefox 57, so the port doesn't help
after all.

No, the ESR codebase is still pre-57 for features (meaning add-ons still
work). But it's caught up to 57 for all security/stability fixes.

The ESR version gets updated every 6 weeks, same as the normal version. But
it doesn't get (many) new features and functionality, just security and
stability fixes.

This is what you want to be running if you want if you want to keep using
add-ons (and plugins). They will be supported until June 2018.

It's what we've moved to at work as we (unfortunately) still need Java
plugin support.

Cheers,
Freddie