sysutils/tmux - strange behaviour with new version 2.4

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue May 16 19:51:52 UTC 2017

Freddie Cash wrote on 2017/05/16 21:27:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:

[snip]

>> # env | grep TERM
>> TERM=screen-256color
>>
>> And missing lines are different on each run.
>>

> ​Just curious, but what happens if you set TERM=tmux instead of
> TERM=screen?  Newer versions of tmux accept that as an option, and the
> termcap/terminfo should be cleaner/more up-to-date than the screen setting.​
>
> ​From:​
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=tmux&sektion=1&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+11.0-RELEASE+and+Ports
>
> ​"​default-terminal terminal
>      Set the default terminal for new windows created in this session
>      - the default value of the TERM environment variable.  For tmux
>      to work correctly, this must be set to `screen', `tmux' or a
>      derivative of them."

I tried this in ~/.tmux.conf:

set -g default-terminal "tmux"

But when I run tmux command I got this error:

tcsh: Cannot open /etc/termcap.
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.

I think there is no tmux entry in /etc/termcap on FreeBSD 10.3

And tmux output with dumb terminal is still misbehaving.

Miroslav Lachman