MP3 licensing over - can we remove LAME restrictions?

Alexander Leidinger netchild at freebsd.org
Wed May 3 20:16:26 UTC 2017

Quoting Ben Woods <woodsb02 at gmail.com> (from Wed, 03 May 2017 07:18:18 +0000):

> "On April 23, 2017, Technicolor's mp3 licensing program for certain mp3
> related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS has been
> terminated."
> http://www.mp3licensing.com/

Putting my FreeBSD-hat aside and speaking as one of the project admins
of LAME:

What you list here are the Fraunhofer/Technicolor patents. There are
at least 2 more parties involved. To what I was told the two other
known patent portfolios are currently in the hands of Nokia and
Sisvel. The later one being a very active party when it comes down to
their intellectual property.

I don't know anything about when patents from the other two portfolios
expire, nor what those patents would be, nor if they are expired or
not. My only knowledge is basically "there are more than those you
quoted".

> It seems that the FreeBSD port for LAME could now have the restriction
> removed, allowing the packages to be available for users by default.

My recommendation: not without legal advice (which IMO would be up for
portmgr to seek for, together with the Foundation, if at all). In case
we would go this way, I could ask my source of this information if he
is willing to provide some more info as a seed for further
investigation by someone else. Or if some Linux distro(s) are
interested for a joined investigation (maybe the EFF is interested
too)...

Bye,
Alexander.

--