manpath change for ports ?

Jan Beich jbeich at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 8 19:03:52 UTC 2017

Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:

> Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
>> I would like to propose a change in the localbase hier for ports
>>
>> I think we should add /usr/local/share/man in the manpath along with
>> at first and maybe instead of in long term.
>
> 2) plus info -> share/info as suggested by jbeich
>
> 3) plus libdata/pkgconfig -> lib/pkgconfig
>
> These three items will ensure that "./configure --prefix=/usr/local &&
> make install" will do the right thing out of the box - by changing our
> definition of "the right thing" to match what the GNU autotools have
> been doing for at least 15 years.

/usr/local is *the* default location according to GNU[1] and reinforced
by FHS[2] which want it "safe from being overwritten when the system
software is updated". Not on FreeBSD where site-local stuff like your
example above and ports/packages trample on each other. NetBSD avoided
the issue by moving /usr/local to /usr/pkg.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html
[2] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRLOCALLOCALHIERARCHY