Should a package restart on upgrade itself

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Jun 27 19:12:41 UTC 2017

Vlad K. wrote on 2017/06/27 20:36:

> Also worth noting is that if you build your pkg repo with Poudriere (and
> I'm guessing Synth), as it rebuilds ALL packages in the dependency
> chain, it's easy to see, on each bulk run, which of the packages with
> services are or could be affected (because their packages are rebuilt),
> and should therefore be restarted. That at least is how we do it for our
> servers.

And this is another problem. Poudriere always rebuild whole dependency
chain but if package version stays the same then pkg upgrade will not
upgrade all packages in chain but just the one with different version
number.
If OpenSSL was upgraded but Apache (depending on OpenSSL from ports) was
not upgraded it is hard to say "restart Apache" from some pkg magick. So
again sysadmin must know what and when to restart.

Miroslav Lachman