[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Fri Jun 23 17:16:04 UTC 2017

On 23/6/17 4:38 pm, Vlad K. wrote:
> On 2017-06-23 10:26, demelier.david at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Release branches won't have many maintenance except individual bug
>> fixes when security advisories are found. No backport, no updates.
>
> Nothing prevents the maintainers from doing exactly that right now.
> But you see, there are two kinds of ports in the tree:
>
> 1) ports where upstream maintains a concept of LTS
> 2) ports that mix bug, security fixes and new features in even
> point.point releases
>
> For some (all?) major production software like Apache, nginx, PHP,
> PostgreSQL, MySQL (I think?), Postfix, Dovecot2, etc... #1 applies.
> So for serious production servers this should be easy to maintain as
> the upstream is doing that in the first place.
>
> The problem is then with ports of type #2. And there's lots of them.
>
> Gentoo portage can easily maintain "stable" ports because portage
> doesn't have a single Makefile, it has multiple .ebuild files so
> multiple versions are available under ONE port name, and bumping the
> version while keeping previous ones available is literally just a
> matter of making a copy of the latest .ebuild and fixing the version
> in it like we do with PORTVERSION.
This is why I think our Makefile should be split up into two parts.
One of which has the interface to the rest of the ports and one of
which specifies what to download and things that are specific to a
given version.

then hopefully you could update the second without changing the first.
  Harder to do than say, I know, but I have faced htat challenge soo
often, in fact i have it right now.
I need  a new azure-agent, in a 10.3 world, where I can not update any
other packages/ports.