[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 22 14:16:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:03:33AM -0400, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
> [Default] On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:18:56 +0200, Baptiste Daroussin
> <bapt at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> >As usual with such proposal, where do you find the manpower to handle the number
> >of branches required (the quarterly branches are already hard to maintain, it is
> >only one branch).
>
> Please help me out here, Baptiste, because I'm apparently missing
> *something*.
>
> Out in industry, if you haven't enough people to do a new
> high-quality release every N months, and you can't get a
> headcount increase, then you cut the release schedule.  Can't do
> 4 releases a year?  Cut back to 2.  Still too many?  Cut back to
> 1.
>
> The alternatives to cutting the schedule are that (a) people
> begin burning out and quitting, (b) quality drops and your
> customer base begins abandoning you, or (c) both of the above.
>
> Why don't the same choices apply here?  What am I missing?

We only have 1 quarterly branch at the time :)

The model with one branch per release will bring it to way more with a
maintenance window way larger (actually it is 3 month making the quarterly
relatively easy to maintain)

Best regards,
Bapt