libstdc++

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Wed Jan 11 22:10:19 UTC 2017

> On 11 Jan, 2017, at 13:56, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>
>>> I want to install "aspell", and it wants "libstdc++.so.6".  All I can
>>> find under ports is /usr/ports/lang/libstdc++_stldoc_4.2.2, which
>>> seems to be documentation only.  Is the port for the library itself
>>> available, to make "aspell" happy?  Or is it one of those silly GNU
>>> things are aren't allowed to be distributed under another licence?
>>
>> You said in a prior message that you'd put 9.x libraries into your
>> system. That's quite far from being a supported operation and it will
>> lead to failures.
>
> Not all of them, no; only the ones needed to support stuff like Alpine
> which won't build on 10.3 due to its schizophrenic view of OpenSSL
> (maintainer contacted, but no reply); I explained this in another thread.
>
>> Assuming that you have installed everything from packages, you can
>> upgrade and reinstall all of them with "pkg upgrade -f". Remove all
>> those 9.x libraries that you installed and run that command.
>
> I prefer to install from ports, to get the options I want rather than
> someone else's opinion of what I might want...
>
>> If you're getting packages with the wrong ABI, have you changed anything
>> in /etc/pkg/ or /usr/local/etc/pkg/?
>
> Haven't touched them, because I don't know what they are...

Okay. So what command did you use to rebuild all your ports? You won't really be able install anything new until you've rebuilt everything. Everything.

I'm not aware of any problems building alpine on 10.3. I do see a typo in its OpenSSL handling and I'll fix that shortly.

If you keep running into headaches upgrading in-place, you should really switch to poudriere. Even if you get stuff working, you should really switch to poudriere. See https://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-poudriere.html for how to get up and running with it.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org