openldap-client vs openldap-sasl-client

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue Jan 10 10:11:27 UTC 2017

Franco Fichtner wrote on 2017/01/10 06:48:

>> On 9 Jan 2017, at 11:54 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
>>
>> I don't need SASL for LDAP client, but somebody messed up ports tree with WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL which is for users and not maintainers:
>>
>> # WANT_OPENLDAP_SASL
>> #                               - User-defined variable to depend upon SASL-enabled OpenLDAP
>> #                                 client. Must NOT be set in a port Makefile.
>
> This note was added two days ago and it's simply not correct,
> and/or overcome by events as it is against the common practice
> in the tree *and* adhering to it would break currently working
> ports.

Even if this doesn't exist at all the change was bad handled. No info in
UPDATING and what was working for years now doesn't work. Simple "pkg
upgrade" failed because of conflicting versions of openldap-client.

> OpenLDAP needs framework improvements of the sort that gssapi
> or ssl received, but we have yet to hear from the maintainer of
> OpenLDAP on the matter.

And changes like this must be better tested before committing...

Breakages are too common in these days.

Miroslav Lachman