The future of portmaster

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Feb 19 15:09:29 UTC 2017

Am 16.02.2017 um 21:48 schrieb Baho Utot:
> Having built and packaged linux from scratch using the rpm package
> manager, I came to find that if one is building packages to be used on
> multiple machines, one needs to build each package in a chroot
> environment or the package could inherit things from the parent not
> found in the target machine.  Here by making the package unusable.

We used to have Tinderbox for the purpose, and now we have Poudriere,
please use that for your purpose.
Portmaster is, by contrast, a tool that focuses on rebuilding a port
using, well, the port in the existing system,
without building a gazillion of requisite other ports for the chroot
first, which easily ends up building some 400 packages when you just
want a convenient way to update ONE port, perhaps with a special
configuration.