The future of portmaster

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Thu Feb 16 14:19:35 UTC 2017

On 02/16/17 06:08, Luca Pizzamiglio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> portmaster, a tool used/loved/hated, is almost in abandoned state.
> I'm a portmaster user, because, in some cases, it fits my needs.
> In other cases, I use other tools, like poudriere or synth, that are
> really great.
> I don't want to open a discussion here about what it's better, but the
> truth is, that I use portmaster and it's not maintained.
> So I decided to spend some time to look at it and to work on it.
>
> I forked it and I start some work.
> The plan is:
> - remove obsolete features, like the -PP option
> - remove pkg_* support (even if someone could be against it), forcing
> the usage of pkg
> - prepare the support of new features like FLAVORS and subpackages
> - adding a new ports, called portmaster-devel, for the new version
>
> I did a branch on github working of the first two points
> (https://github.com/pizzamig/portmaster/tree/remove_oldpkg)
>
> I'm looking for constructive critics, feedbacks, anything that can
> help me to make portmaster an actively maintained and used tool.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards,
> pizzamig
> [...]
Thank you!  poudriere regularly runs out of resources on my ten
year old machine, and I've been disinclined to try synth so far
(though I guess it may come to that soon).  Up to now, portmaster
has worked fine for me (bearing in mind I have a machine dedicated
to ports building and the world doesn't end if I break it and have
to clean up and start over again on occasion).           -- George