Status of synth following expulsion of John Marino?

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Wed Feb 15 15:01:03 UTC 2017

> On 15 Feb, 2017, at 2:26, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:
>
> Expulsion of John Marino was a shocker to me, caught me by surprise.
>
> Now my question is what is the status of synth?
>
> Should I switch from portmaster to synth?
>
> If synth is deprecated or dropped, after I switch from portmaster to synth, then I have to switch back, and this would be a monster mess of extra work.
>
> Not to be inflammatory here, just want to know where I/we stand and don't want to go too far off course updating my ports.

I don't recommend portmaster for anybody. It's unmaintained, it already causes headaches on upgrades, and even though it works now, it is unlikely to keep working as the ports tree evolves.

You should switch to poudriere or Synth. Poudriere is what most of the committers use, and it's what all the builder machines use. It's simple to set up, and is the reference ports tool. Synth is a great builder too, and AFAIK John is still very actively developing it.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org