Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Sat Feb 11 08:51:46 UTC 2017

Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:02:41PM +0100, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
>> Or the last strong hold you have - the server owners - get so p**sed off in
>> reality they can't keep up with the OS updates that they migrate away...
> So we should give up on EFI, 4k drives, and SSD?

Not what I said, suggested or thought.  There is a difference between
adding drivers and installation/boot tools and an incessant push to get
people to upgrade every (what seems like 5 minutes)... yes I know it's
longer than that, it might be a year, it might be two, but the hardware
is outlasting (by a long way) the OS.

Tell me....  What is the reason for me upgrading those few production
servers from 9.3 to 10/11?... baring in mind the following:

The tools/utilities in the base OS (ntp, ssh, openssl, etc etc etc) have
been removed/disabled.
The ports I am using to replace the base utilities is still using pkg_*
tools and is up to date for the 1000 odd packages I have across my
environment.
The environment does not contain any new hardware that is not already
supported.

Then after that consider this:

On some of my servers I have been attempting to move services to using
'powerdns' which was marked as broken on 9.3 since August 2016...  It
failed to link with 'to_string' not a part of 'std' ... however with a
little research and some help (as I know very little about c++) it turns
out that the problem that caused it is the same problem that has been
present since 2014 on 8.x and was reported on the mailing lists along
with a fix... oh and since then it's been reported on 10.x as well...
and still no fix...

... The fix it turns out was very simple it's a bad #ifdef/missing
#define in the C++ headers/config ...

Guess what... it's fixed on my systems, but get "9.3 is obsolete, please
upgrade" if I ask for a fix or even suggest about patching the fix in....

Its not the only thing, but it shows the sentiment, if you're not
running HEAD, then *most* are not interested in helping you...  This is
the reason I forked...  This is the reason why linux has so many
variants, this is why FreeBSD is either now, or heading to be "just
another distro" ... we're better off with DeadRat, we can pay support
put it on our servers and know that it'll be supported *and patched* for
the 5+ years we'll have the hardware... and this is what I was fighting
within the company but they're right FreeBSD is not a viable option for
the company as the OS moves too fast for either our DCs or the on prem
embedded hardware.... we're a security company, we can't afford to be
running an unsupported OS, and we can't afford to have 90% of the
company staff admins so that we can keep upgrading our DCs and all the
appliances.

I respect you Mark, have seen you about here for years now, you're not
stupid, but you have to see where the forcing of upgrades and drive to
keep up with the joneses is hurting the userbase and therefore FreeBSD
as a whole.... and just as a parting shot, about to attempt to deploy my
fork onto some Sun hardware and if it works (which I expect it to) I'm
going to try the same fix on there to see if that also fixes the
build/link problem.

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/