Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 9 16:53:33 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 02/09/2017 11:24, Franco Fichtner wrote:

>> On 9 Feb 2017, at 5:21 PM, Steve Wills <swills at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> We provide backwards compatibility, not forwards compatibility.
>
> But don't you see that users won't know this?

Users who don't know their software is no longer supported and refuse to
update can't be helped, IMHO.

> This is a good theory, yet it is difficult in practice because it is
> not being enforced.

What would enforcement look like? Something like "Sorry, you can't pkg
update because this system isn't supported any more."? But how would
that be possible without also breaking things for those who build/ship
their own OS and packages?

Steve