Install of pkg fuse-ntfs fails because of undefined symbol in pkg!?!

Kirill Ponomarev kp at krion.cc
Thu Feb 9 08:49:37 UTC 2017

On 02/08, list-freebsd-ports at jyborn.se wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 12:34:36PM -0500, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
> > For those people (I'm one) long version lifespans and bug-free
> > operation  is a much bigger desideratum than winning the secret
> > race (I presume there is some kind of secret race going on, since
> > otherwise the crazy scheduling makes No Sense At All).  I can't
> > work out what the strategy for winning is, if there is a
> > strategy, but I do know that it's not working.   Linux has all
> > but won already, and that's sickening.
> >
> > I've been using the o/s since before v2 (I still have the cds)
> > and have watched FreeBSD go from being the leading Unix on Intel
> > boxes to all-but-dead.  I don't know how to express how saddened
> > I feel about that.
>
> My feelings exactly. I've been a FreeBSD user and strong advocater
> since around FreeBSD v1/v2. But the last few years the management
> of FreeBSD has steered away from making the best server OS, and
> instead focusing on ... what exactly?

Your statement is based on what?

> Making the ports system capable of handling a totally overwhelming
> number of more or less meaningless ports of different versions and
> flavours, and rolling/retiring the base releases at high speed just
> to avoid drowning under the workload of keeping all those ports
> functional?
>
> Who needs/wants this evolution in a server OS?
> (Linux already owns the desktop, let's not waste any time
> discussing that regrettable fact.)
>
> I'm sorry, and apologies to all great heroes doing all the
> volunteer work on both FreeBSD base and the ports system,
> but this is how I feel about what is going on with FreeBSD.
>
> As I have never contributed to FreeBSD in any way, other than
> promoting it to others, I don't have a say in the matter, nor
> do I expect anyone to care about my view. But I'm just really,
> really sad to follow what in my opinion is the slow demise of
> FreeBSD.
>
> Sorry about all the negativism.

I don't understand all critics I see in this thread and in your mail,
the fate of this project is all in your hands - try to contribute more,
collaborate with developers more, give your ideas and proposals, think
about its future and try to improve it, particiapte in FreeBSD
conferences and workshops, read code and code.

Rephrasing famous quote - if you judge something, you have no time to
love it.

K.