Synth and circular dependencies

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Wed Aug 23 06:36:48 UTC 2017

On 23 August 2017 at 18:20, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:
[...]
> I can try the script or start over from the beginning given the mess I got into.
>
> But the complexity of the script convinces me further of how dialog-free systems (pkgsrc, Gentoo portage for instance) are better.
>
> But I was going strong with synth, and that might encourage me to continue to make that installation more fully functional.
>
> I can run "synth status ..." on desired packages to see before running if the options are compatible.

My 2 cents worth: the port maintainers usually do a good job of
choosing sensible default options. I would just move everything out of
/var/db/ports/ and see what a "synth upgrade-system" comes back with.
My LiveSystem-make.conf only contains a handful of lines where I
disagree with the port maintainers' choices.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>