INSTALL_TARGET=install-strip runs into "permission denied"

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 25 18:54:58 UTC 2017

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 21:03:22 +0200 (CEST) Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>>> [ https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10357 ]
>> Yes, but in my opinion we should stop relying on upstream build systems
>> to get stripping right and let bsd.port.mk strip ELF files after staging.
>> It's less work for maintainers.  Then instead of stripping, bsd.port.mk
>> could also extract debug symbols into separate files and put them into a
>> debug subpackage.
>
> Yes, that sounds a lot more reliable and maintainable (and overall
> less work compared to patching hundreds of ports).
>
> Until something like this is in place, should we ignore those
> complaints from the QA framework or patch individual ports?

That's not my decision to make.  It's not that important for gcc I think.
The only reason to strip files is to make them a bit smaller and gcc is
not going to be installed on space constrained systems where this matters.