How to use cached packages

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 20:39:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:

> Freddie Cash wrote on 2017/04/20 22:17:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Patrick Powell <papowell at astart.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I ran into a problem where I needed to reinstall a package. However,  I
>>> did not have network access to the pkg repository.  I did have a system
>>> which had all of the pkgs which I needed in the pkg cache.  I can easily
>>> copy these to the system,  as well as the pkg database, etc.
>>>
>>> So:  is there a SIMPLE way to have pkg check to see if a pkg is already
>>> in
>>> the pkg cache and use that before trying to go to the repository?
>>>
>>> Is there a SIMPLE way to prevent pkg from trying to check the pkg
>>> repository for an update?
>>>
>>> I strongly suspect that something like:
>>>
>>> pkg --do_not_check_for_latest_version --use_cached_pkg install firefox
>>>
>>> Any help on this before I tear out the three strands of hair I have left
>>> would be appreciated.
>>>

>> ​If you have the .txz/.tbz package file, then it's a simple:
>>
>> # pkg install /path/to/firefox-versions-blahblah.txz
>>

> I think it is "pkg add /var/cache/pkg/firefox-versions-blahblah.txz"

​Both work.  "pkg add" is there for backward compat with the old way
(pkg_add).  "pkg install" can install from remote repos or local files.
>From the man pages:

​DESCRIPTION
     pkg install is used for installation of packages from package reposito-
     ries or local archives.  Multiple package names can be specified on the
     command line, either explicitly or by matching against package names
(or
     origins) in the repository catalogues using shell globbing or regular
     expressions.

DESCRIPTION
     pkg add installs packages from either a local source or a remote one.

     When installing from a remote source you need to specify the protocol
     use when fetching the package.

​For ease of use, "pkg install" works for everything.  :)​

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com