Is pkg quarterly really needed?

Dewayne Geraghty dewaynegeraghty at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 22:30:23 UTC 2017

Scratch65535, I think your best solution is to use latest and upgrade when
you need to.  Unlike Freddie's comment re only desktop users using latest.
I ONLY upgrade my local svn of ports when there's a vulnerability or
significant (for users) functional improvement of a port.

It is a labour intensive exercise, monitoring CVE's for all
externally-facing applications.

Its a nice idea having a snapshot of ports, from the perspective of
consistency, but that model doesnt suite our risk appetite on multiple
levels; and in our view back-porting fixes to a quarterly snapshot - a good
idea from a security perspective it is a really bad idea from a
consistency/administrative/audit perspective.

How the ports infrastructure can meet many conflicting objectives is
something that we (the consumers of the ports service) must decide for our
circumstance.  The use-the-latest paradigm suits individuals that manage
their individual machine, but when you manage multiple clients' servers,
the requirements are different (try meeting a SAS70-II/SAE16-SOC2, ISO27001
SOA, NIST 800-53r5, etc)

On a non-audit level, Microsoft might hold to monthly updates/fixes ("patch
Tuesday") but bad guys don't.
Regards, Dewayne.