ca_root_nss compile failure

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Sep 28 07:05:36 UTC 2016

Am 28.09.2016 um 01:51 schrieb George Mitchell:
> Before I file a PR, does this failure look familiar to anyone?
>
>  portmaster -BDg security/ca_root_nss

> ===>  Building for ca_root_nss-3.26
> ##  Untrusted certificates omitted from this bundle: 20
> openssl x509 failed with exit code 139 at
> /usr/ports/security/ca_root_nss/work/MAca-bundle.pl line 78.
> *** Error code 255
George,

thanks for asking, this is the first report I am made aware of. "exit
code 139" is actually a signal, 128 + 11 = "core dump + SIGSEGV".
openssl should NOT raise a SIGSEGV in ANY case, and beyond marking
build-time conflicts perhaps, there's nothing that ca_root_nss could do
anything about. It's a Perl script that uses the OpenSSL executable, and
the latter crashed due to the SIGSEGV.

First, please show the output of these two commands before doing further
upgrades:

pkg info '*ssl'

freebsd-version -u

That should answer these underlying questions:

1. Do you have openssl or libressl installed from ports?

2. Is your base system fully patched? Note that there have been two
OpenSSL upgrades in quick succession, and re-running "freebsd-update
fetch" and "freebsd-update install" is advised in case you've missed the
second one (alternatively, rebuild and reinstall OpenSSL from a
supported releng SVN branch)

If you do not have openssl, libressl installed, and you have a supported
fully-updated base system, then (3) start looking for hardware trouble,
and only then we can usefully start looking into the crash, such as
installing debug symbols for openssl and looking into backtraces.