${INSTALL_DATA} problems

Bob Eager rde at tavi.co.uk
Sat Sep 10 07:13:54 UTC 2016

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 13:32:30 +1000
Aristedes Maniatis <amaniatis at apache.org> wrote:

> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/plist-keywords.html
>

> I've just tried this but ran into some difficulty. Specifically I
> have a plist which is many hundreds of lines long. There is no way
> this will be maintained into the future without mistake.
>
> So I found in Mk/Uses/drupal.mk, this syntx:
>
> PLIST_FILES+=   "@owner www" \
>                 "@group www" \
>
> When I added this to my Makefile
>
> PLIST_FILES+=   "@owner {$SOLR_USER}" \
>                 "@group {$SOLR_GROUP}" \
>
> nothing happened.

If you refer back to the Porter's Handbook (section 3.2.2):

"If the port installs just a handful of files, list them in
PLIST_FILES"

Note the word 'handful'. Also, PLIST_FILES *replaces* pkg-plist; you
can't have both. In any case, I am not sure that PLIST_FILES works to
change ownership - it is meant for small ports with simple needs.

> I really only want one folder installed with the correct permissions,
> but do I need to move my chmod code into the rc.d startup script
> instead and tying it into the pkg install?

Really, the pkg-plist is the way.