pkg: cached package size mismatch, again

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 17 16:17:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 06:11:45PM +0300, Rostislav Krasny wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've a fresh FreeBSD 11.0 installed. When I try to install x11/kde4 by
> > pkg(8) it fails to install the very first dependency package:
> >
> > Fetching ktux-4.14.3.txz: 100%  117 KiB 119.7kB/s    00:01
> > pkg: cached package ktux-4.14.3: size mismatch, fetching from remote
> > Fetching ktux-4.14.3.txz: 100%  117 KiB 119.7kB/s    00:01
> > pkg: cached package ktux-4.14.3: size mismatch, cannot continue
> >
> > I found such a problem was already reported in this mailing list and
> > even fixed two years ago:
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2014-August/094447.html
> >
> > Unfortunately It happens again in FreeBSD 11.0.
> >
> > I didn't try "pkg update -f" yet and I don't have ports installed.
> > During the FreeBSD installation I also installed the local copy of the
> > Handbook. This procedure lead to the pkg(8) to be installed and also
> > installed the handbook package. Don't know if this information could
> > help you to understand the issue, though.
>
> The "pkg update -f" helped. But obviously there is some bug in the pkg(8).

The bug is not in pkg, there is a race in the sync mechanism on the mirrors.

The window is very small, but the situation is you fetched the db from an old
metadata but only new packages are available at this time. and running pkg
update -f forces the fix.

There is some work ongoing to reduce this window to something close to 0, but
not yet good enough to be included in the release.

Best regards
Bapt