harder and harder to avoid pkg

Mon Oct 17 08:24:37 UTC 2016

On 16.10.2016 05:16, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Has anyone actually looked/asked how other OS's solve this problem?

Yes, for various linux distributions. This provided me with so many
reasons to stay and work with the ports-tree.

> I too found "xxx-dev" vs "xxx-lib" annoying until I realized how clean
> it actually is.

You need to be more clear with that. Most distributions already fail
with the "normal" names of modules. You need to install php-xml to get
UTF8 and also you directly get DOM, which has nothing to do with it.
Also simpleXML is installed with it, which is a lightweight replacement
for DOM and the other XML functions so you do not use more than one of
it - but of course everything is installed.
php-dev? Yes, it is definitely needed to get the PostgreSQL module for
PHP. But for MySQL there is php-mysql.

In FreeBSD? php-xml, php-simplexml, php-dom, php-pg, php-mysql.

I'm working as a developer and as an administrator. As administrator it
is fairly easy to get a list of modules and software to install and have
packages named like the software.

I've created a sheet of translations for our linux-admins. "If developer
wants this $software you need to install $something-different".

> We should definitely be surveying the landscape before rolling our own
> NIH solution.

We do. And the ports-tree offers features missing in most others
distributions. pkg audit for example. Or a consistent placement of the
files and configurations.

Greetings,
Torsten