Will 10.3 clobber my ports area?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Oct 5 03:20:40 UTC 2016

On Mon, 3 Oct 2016, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> The ports will not be touched, but some will not run on 10.3 because of
> ABI changes in some shareable libraries. Most of the base system uses
> versioned symbols, so will work fine, but some, usually contributed
> code, don't. Ports that use them will need to be re-installed/rebuilt.

[...]

Many thanks; I'm a bit nervous, as this is my only FreeBSD server :-)

I know I'm going to have trouble with the ports area anyway, because I
seem to have corrupted it somehow (during the switch between pkg* etc),
and I cannot seem to reload it from the CD (disc1).  Is there a way to
fetch the entire ports tree online?

Oh, this is for Joseph Mingrove: my mail log shows a message from you
(relayed via FreeBSD.org) but there's nothing in my mailbox about it (and
it certainly wasn't rejected).  I guess I accidentally deleted it, so
could you please send it again?