Recording TIMESTAMPs in distinfo for reproducible builds work

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 13 13:04:57 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 01:58:51PM +0200, Ben Woods wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 May 2016, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Baptiste and I have been looking at reproducible builds in the FreeBSD
> > ports tree, and one thing we'll need is a consistent timestamp that
> > doesn't change when a port is rebuilt without changes.
> >
> > We considered a few different ideas, and have settled on experimenting
> > with the time 'make makesum' is run.
> >

> Hi Ed,
>
> Thanks for the heads up.
>
> Quick question: is there now an expectation that each time a port is
> changed the timestamp should be updated?

Nope the goal is to change it as little as possible aka only when the main
distfile actually change

> I.e. If a port changes in a way which does not change the distfiles, are we
> supposed to run "make makesum" again anyway to record it has changed?

Nope

> Or is the timestamp only supposed to change when the port is updates /
> distfiles change?

The make makesum command will do everything automagically

Best regards,
Bapt