print/cups overhaul (PR 207746) side-effects

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 12 13:12:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 20:52:08 +0100 Martin Waschbüsch <martin at waschbuesch.de> wrote:
> I just did a rebuild of packages for my webservers with poudriere.
> What I noticed was that via the print/cups overhaul (see PR 207746),
> quite a lot (>50) of additional dependencies are added to the system,
> including lots of x11 related libs, avahi, dbus, cairo, opengl, etc.
>
> This stems from installing pecl-imagick which results in pulling in
> ImageMagick, ghostscript, and cups.
>
> Now, of course I can manually remove port options and reduce the number
> of additional dependencies, but I feel uneasy about the defaults now.
>
> If I wanted to adjust an existing port to be less greedy with regards
> to dependencies, how would I go about that? Create a slave port?

print/cups has its X11 option disabled by default.  It does depend on
devel/dbus which has its X11 option enabled by default, but this only
pulls in a few X11 dependencies, definitely not cairo.

print/cups-filters on the other hand depends on graphics/poppler and
that has an option to depend on cairo which is enabled by default.
So you can disable this option, or if your server doesn't need to print
you can uninstall cups-filters and its dependencies.