library porting question - optional python bindings

Chris Inacio nacho319 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 03:25:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Chris H <bsd-lists at bsdforge.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:53:37 -0800 "Chris H" <bsd-lists at bsdforge.com>
> wrote
>
> > On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 21:38:40 -0500 Chris Inacio <nacho319 at gmail.com>
> wrote
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to build a port definition for a library/application that
> can
> > > optionally include Python bindings.  The library/application generally
> > > depends on other C libraries to exist (ZMQ v3, Protobufs-C) and if you
> > > enable Python support, then you need a Python interpreter plus
> > > Python-protobufs & python zmq.
> > >
> > > Putting an OPTION of Python in the port file is easy.  Including the
> > > optional Python dependencies (and presumably targets - but I'm not
> that far
> > > yet) seems to be a lot more complicated.  I haven't found anything that
> > > would tell me how I'm supposed to do that.  I have found that I'm
> supposed
> > > to add pyXX prefixes to the python targets.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a similar application/library that I can go look
> at?
> > > Is there any documentation on how to solve this?
> > Sure. You've read the Porters Handbook;
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
> > Right? :)

I have read through the handbook - although probably not linearly.  I have
read the section on Python in ports.

But the combination of what I'm trying to do - Python as an option - can do
that, but also including extra python library dependencies as an option
doesn't seem straight forward.

> > Other than that, there's a myriad of ports in the ports tree.
> > Almost all of which have (OPTIONAL) requirements. Your keyword
> > here is; depends. :)
> If I understand you correctly; maybe something like;
>
> if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MMYOPTION}
>     RUN_DEPENDS=        ${LOCALBASE}/lib/somelib:${PORTSDIR}/lang/python...
> endif
>
> Same is true for BUILD_DEPENDS

I was hoping there was some newer / less documented
<OPTION_NAME>_PYPACKAGE_DEPENDS variable that would save the day here.  Or
port that someone had worked on and effectively created some Makefile foo
that does the equivalent of my made up variable/macro name.