Unexpected output from "pkg updating -d 20160626"

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue Jun 28 11:44:41 UTC 2016

As part of my daily update of FreeBSD on my laptop, on the first reboot
after installing the freshly-built kernel & world, I use portmaster to
update any installed ports that have been updated since I last updated.

This morning, for the first time in ... months, I think, the "pkg
updating -d ..." command I run to start the process actually generated
some output -- quite a bit of it.

But I'm at a loss to understand why it did: only one of the ports it
mentioned is installed, and that one didn't get updated by "portmaster
-ad"; the others aren't installed at all.

My ports working copy is ports/head, at r417708.

I'm running:
FreeBSD g1-252.catwhisker.org 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #406  r302244M/302246:1003505: Tue Jun 28 04:11:52 PDT 2016     root at g1-252.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  amd64

now; when I ran "pkg updating -d ...", I was running:
FreeBSD g1-252.catwhisker.org 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #405  r302220M/302222:1003504: Mon Jun 27 04:03:47 PDT 2016     root at g1-252.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  amd64

and pkg reports:
g1-252(10.3-S)[2] pkg --version
1.8.6

The "pkg updating" command I issued was: pkg updating -d 20160626

For each port in the resulting output, I ran "pkg info -o ...", with the
following results:

g1-252(10.3-S)[1] pkg info -o ftp/wget
wget-1.18                      ftp/wget
g1-252(10.3-S)[2] pkg info -o databases/py-apsw
pkg: No package(s) matching databases/py-apsw
g1-252(10.3-S)[3] pkg info -o security/openssl\*
pkg: No package(s) matching security/openssl*
g1-252(10.3-S)[4] pkg info -o security/libressl\*
pkg: No package(s) matching security/libressl*
g1-252(10.3-S)[5] pkg info -o www/node\*
pkg: No package(s) matching www/node*
g1-252(10.3-S)[6] pkg info -o textproc/xmlroff
pkg: No package(s) matching textproc/xmlroff
g1-252(10.3-S)[7] pkg info -o databases/postgresql-repmgr
pkg: No package(s) matching databases/postgresql-repmgr
g1-252(10.3-S)[8] pkg info -o www/h2o
pkg: No package(s) matching www/h2o
g1-252(10.3-S)[9] pkg info -o security/libressl-devel
pkg: No package(s) matching security/libressl-devel
g1-252(10.3-S)[10] pkg info -o mail/opensmtpd-extras\*
pkg: No package(s) matching mail/opensmtpd-extras*
g1-252(10.3-S)[11]

When I actually ran "portmaster -ad" it reported:
===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
        Upgrade pcre-8.38_1 to pcre-8.39
        Upgrade bash-4.3.42_1 to bash-4.3.46
        Upgrade p5-DateTime-Locale-1.04 to p5-DateTime-Locale-1.05
        Upgrade p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.027 to p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.029
        Upgrade firefox-47.0_1,1 to firefox-47.0.1,1

===>>> Proceed? y/n [y]

and on completion, it reported:
===>>> The following actions were performed:
        Upgrade of pcre-8.38_1 to pcre-8.39
        Upgrade of bash-4.3.42_1 to bash-4.3.46
        Upgrade of p5-DateTime-Locale-1.04 to p5-DateTime-Locale-1.05
        Upgrade of p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.027 to p5-IO-Socket-SSL-2.029
        Upgrade of firefox-47.0_1,1 to firefox-47.0.1,1

Any ideas on why "pkg updating" produced such output?

I have attached a copy of the actual output itself.

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Those who would murder in the name of God or prophet are blasphemous cowards.