Re: curl and nginx no longer build on same host

Euan Thoms euan at potensol.com
Tue Jul 19 02:08:54 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 07:32 SGT, "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:44:49AM +0800 I heard the voice of
> Euan Thoms, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > Aha, I got ftp/curl to build using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes. Don't know
> > why I didn't try it before, perhaps since it is deprecated.
> >
> > So, I think we need to address some shortcoming in the new macro
> > DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl.
>
> That seems...  odd.
>
> > DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl
>
> will cause bsd.default-versions.mk to set the variable SSL_DEFAULT to
> the value 'openssl'.
>
> Contrarily,
>
> > WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes
>
> will cause bsd.default-versions.mk to set the variable SSL_DEFAULT to
> the value 'openssl' (unless you've got OPENSSL_PORT defined, in which
> case it's set to whatever that is) and spit out a warning.
>
> So, unless you're setting OPENSSL_PORT, they're doing exactly the same
> thing (modulo the warning).  If you are (e.g., from using libressl
> instead), you need to set THAT instead of 'openssl' in the
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS line.

I'm not setting anything else in make.conf, the jail is otherwise vanilla, no hacks etc. In both cases I'm only using openssl, no libressl.

I just noticed that after running make using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes , it builds fine. Then turning the make.conf back to using DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl instead of WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes, it now builds OK. So I did a "make config" and GSSAPI_NONE is now set.

After further examiniation, it seems that coincidentally I must have done a "make rmconfig" before using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes. The "make rmconfig" removes my /var/db/ports/ftp_curl/options and then the next time "make" is run the macros in make.conf set GSSAPI_NONE.

So, the problem I had was that my existing installation (in a jail) had options set that the make.conf macros were not clobbering. If I had set those make.conf options/macros in the first place, I would not have the said problem. But, the macro did not exist when I did the initial installation, neither was replacing openssl from base a thing.

Worth noting that I'm pretty sure I never changed any options in ftp/curl on the initial install (or previous updates via portmaster either). So just the fact that I hit enter on the ftp/curl ncurses options screen meant that in future, setting the openssl macros would not take the desired effect.

Tricky one to solve I guess, I wouldn't want a macro clobbering my custom options config either.

--
Regards, Euan Thoms