Porting OpenCPN

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 18 13:15:49 UTC 2016

On 18/07/2016 10:52 PM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 07/13/16 11:50, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
>
>> For GitHub there is ports infrastructure, using USE_GITHUB=yes and GH_*
>> variables. For usage, see our Porters Handbook:
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/book.html#makefile-master_sites-github-description
>>

> Hello and thanks for your answer.
> I saw that description, but I really couldn't understand if the port
> system will issue a "git clone" or still expect the tarball somewhere.

The framework uses the variables provided in the port to construct a URL
that obtains a tarball via GitHub's API. It is fetched via /archive/,
the same method as the 'download as zip/tar' buttons in the GitHub web
interface

It is a snapshot of the repository code at that tag, branch or revision,
not a clone of the repository.

> In any case, as Thierry pointed out (thanks!), the tarball is there, so
> this is over.

The distributions in /releases/ are separate and different (and may or
may not be the same as the raw/pure sources)