base components should always be default (Re: change in default openssl coming)

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 22:25:34 UTC 2016

This discussion has now been going on for a while. Several times the
question "Why should be do this?" has been asked and answered, but I want
to know why it is desirable to have ports use the base OpenSSL. Other than
the time and disk space required to install the OpenSSL package, I fail to
see the point.

There are clear advantages to making the base library private to the base
system but I have seen no real, significant reason to use the base library.
In particular, I have seen no basis for the rather strongly worded subject
of this fork of the original post.Why should "base components should always
be default"?

It would be nice if a response or two could be technically supportable, but
that might be asking a bit too much. The initial post to this was mostly
"because I like it this way" and was lacking in technical basis.

E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com