what to do when base openssl isn't suitable

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 1 21:41:42 UTC 2016

On  1 Jul, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Don Lewis wrote on 07/01/2016 20:59:
>> I've got a port that does not work with base openssl because it looks
>> for libssl.pc.  Other than that, I don't think it is picky about what
>> flavor of ports ssl is installed.  Because the default version of ssl
>> still defaults to base, I don't see a way to get this port to build on
>> the cluster, so there is no way to provide binary packages.  That's a
>> problem for end users because this port has bunch of huge build
>> dependencies.  Thoughts?
>
> There are already packages depending on ports OpenSSL because they need
> /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/libssl.pc (installed by openssl-1.0.2_14)
> so I think you can make port depending on ports openssl.
> See nginx for example.
>
> .if defined(NGINX_OPENSSL)
> USE_OPENSSL= yes

USE_OPENSSL is now deprecated and has been replaced by USES=ssl

> .if ${OSVERSION} < 1100000
> WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes

WITH_OPENSSL_PORT is now deprecated.  Even before that I don't think it
was intended to be used in the port Makefile, only in /etc/make.conf.
The suggested replacement is to put DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl in
/etc/make.conf.