Removing documentation

Royce Williams royce at tycho.org
Tue Feb 9 16:54:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 6:50 AM, Royce Williams <royce at tycho.org> wrote:
> IMO, this entire thread is masking a deeper symptom: FreeBSD
> ports/packages management is fragmented.

[snip]

> We need to capture users' reasons for preferring specific frameworks,
> and build a roadmap to how they could be unified.

Anticipating the two perennial objections:

1. "If it's a problem, go ahead and fix it yourself."

There is a spectrum of things that OSes need to do. Software
management is at the "should be managed closely by the core team" end
of the spectrum.

There are some medical emergencies so urgent that the doctors should
stop saying "go to medical school and treat it yourself" and help the
patient.

2. "It's working fine the way it is."

I couldn't disagree more.

Debian/Ubuntu took off because Ian Murdoch realized that the Linux
distros were reinventing the software management wheel poorly -- and
he fixed it.  He did this by building a way to cache and distribute
the dependency wisdom that developers already had in their heads.

In other words, he automated /usr/ports/UPDATING.

Imagine if we could do this.  imagine the power of building on the
great work already done with pkg, and extending and merging it with
portmaster/portupgrade/etc and poudriere.

Imagine how many thousands of developer and users hours -- including
our own -- would be freed up to grow FreeBSD in other ways.

The longer we go without bringing software management into the core,
the harder it's going to get.  But if we cooperate now to combine
binary package management (pkg) with local configuration options
(ports), FreeBSD could take off like Debian did.  People would beat a
path to our door.

I have believed for years that this is the single most important
project that the FreeBSD Foundation could sponsor.  It is the largest
force multiplier we can apply.

Royce