HEADSUP: FLAVORS (initial version) and subpackages proposals

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 22 20:16:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 05:41:17PM +0100, Luca Pizzamiglio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it's a nice to have and an improvement.
> It's quite clean, even if the number of Makefile's can really increase.
>
> I've some questions:
>
> Q1) It seems obvious (at least to me), that DOCS and EXAMPLES
> should/could become subpackages.
> How it could be handled by pkg? Are you thinking to add some "magic"
> to enable or disable the automatic installation of specific
> subpackages?

It depends having a subpackage for a bunch of README files is useless while
having a subpackage for ports with loads of html/pdf files would deserve it yes.

Note that there is "magic" planned in pkg at all :)

> Q2) are we opening the door the -devel packages like some Linux distros?

That is an entirely different direction and this would be a policy discussion.

In short:
1/ technically, yes it would allow that
2/ is that what I am aiming at: not at all

> Q3) Do you think there is a general way to decide what should stay an
> OPTION and what should/could become a FLAVOR?

Nope that would be probably mostly driven by common sense

> Q4) Can FLAVORs be in CONFLICT with each others or only conflict-free
> FLAVOR will be accepted?
> If ports can depend to FLAVOR, strange CONFLICTS can arise..

yes flavor can conflict but pkg will detect the conflict and propose to replace
the previous flavor if needed

Best regards,
Bapt