The ports collection has some serious issues

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 18 06:52:48 UTC 2016

On Saturday, 17 December 2016 at 20:16:12 -0600, John Marino wrote:
> On 12/17/2016 19:35, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> $ cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth/ && make
>> [ about an hour of grinding away elided ]
>> ===>   ini_file_manager-03_2 depends on file: /usr/local/gcc6-aux/bin/ada - not found
>> ===>  gcc6-aux-20160822 is only for amd64 i386, while you are running armv6.
>>
>> Overall, a total failure.
>>
>> OTOH, portmaster installs in a minute or so and runs perfectly well.  I fail
>> to see why you are so insistant on replacing it with something that doesn't
>> work at all.
>
> Real smooth there, Slick.

Sarcasm might get you somewhere, but I'm not sure you want to be
there.

> It's been mentioned several times in this thread alone that Ada is
> only available for i386 and amd64.  I think you already knew that
> and thus this is a pure troll.

I think Peter has highlighted a significant weakness.  A tool that
doesn't work on all platforms is hardly a replacement for a core tool
that does.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.