Mailman in a jail

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 21 15:39:32 UTC 2016

On 04/21/16 16:21, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
> I'm trying to get Mailman working in a 10.3 amd64 jail. Everything
> works, except Mailman doesn't talk to Postfix. Incoming mail works and
> posts to the list's archives but no outgoing email is sent. I asked in
> the Mailman list and they seem to think it's related to running in a jail.
>
> If anyone's gotten this running in a jail I'd appreciate some input. I'm
> not married to Postfix - willing to use a different MTA.

Does mailman try and communicate with postfix over a network socket
bound to the loopback address?

That's a common gotcha in jails.  There isn't an accessible loopback
address in a jail[*], but the kernel intercepts connection attempts and
redirects things via the jail's primary address.  So an application that
tries to bind to 127.0.0.1 ends up binding to 192.0.2.1 or whatever the
jail address is.  Most of the time you'll get away with this.  However
some more security aware applications (like postfix) realise something
dodgy is going on and refuse to play.

The answer is basically to configure mailman to talk to postfix by the
jail's IP explicitly.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Unless you're using VIMAGE jails, but that's a topic for another day...