mail/postfix default build options request: SASL

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Tue Jul 7 15:23:46 UTC 2015

> On 7/07/2015 3:31 PM, Gregory Orange wrote:
>> I don't know if this is a helpful forum to raise it, but I would like to
>> request that SASL be enabled in the default build options for
>> mail/postfix.

We don't use the upstream Postfix package but have noticed that sites
serving IMAP use Dovecot more often than other impads by a large margin.

> +1 on security related options enabled by default
> +1 on OPTIONS_DEFAULT matching upstream defaults
> -1 on OPTIONS_DEFAULT introducing large dependency sets

Agreed and should note that mail/postfix' unnecessary build-time
dependency on perl can be just as problematic.  Most of the time we
simply delete any references to perl from the Makefile, otherwise it's a
real pain to wait through a perl build as many/most systems don't have
it installed.

Roger