BIND REPLACE_BASE option

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 7 08:45:34 UTC 2015

On 1/9/15 5:42 AM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> +--On 8 janvier 2015 19:44:09 -0800 Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
> | Can you please explain why this option was removed? It's been in the
> | ports for over 13 years, and lots of users utilized it.
> |
> | I realize that BIND is no longer in the base in 10.x, but that would
> | be a reason to make the option conditional, to continue to support the
> | substantial user base that is still on 8.x and 9.x.
>
> I only removed it from bind99, it was never there in bind910.  I removed it
> because it was a poor design idea to begin with, and it was making the port
> harder to maintain.  Also, it was overwriting files in the base system,
> which is a thing we do not want to do.
>
> All you need to do is add:
>
> named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"
>
> to your rc.conf, like the message says when you install the port.
>
> It was a bit like the /usr/bin/perl symlink, it was time for it to go.

And on the 8395th day the ports team looked at the OS and declared it
clean, and it was without users and their cumbersome legacy requirements
and they rejoiced for now they could do all they needed any wanted.

And it was implemented in shell, C, and make just like the first day and
no one was bothered by change, except the users.

And there was some rejoicing (not too much as honestly most of the users
left) and it was good.

-Alfred