Missing dependency readline in devel/libtool, wrong libreadline.so version

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 4 06:10:02 UTC 2015

Trying to update devel/libtool, I get /usr/local/bin/libtoolize with 0 bytes.

There is a message

Making install in .
 /bin/mkdir -p '/usr/ports/devel/libtool/work11.amd64/stage/usr/local/bin'
 install  -o root -g wheel -m 555 libtool '/usr/ports/devel/libtool/work11.amd64/stage/usr/local/bin'
 GREP='/usr/bin/grep' SED='/usr/bin/sed' './build-aux/inline-source' libtoolize > '/usr/ports/devel/libtool/work11.amd64/stage/usr/local/bin/libtoolize'
Shared object "libreadline.so.8" not found, required by "gawk"

I cd'ed to /usr/local/lib, and
ln -s libreadline.so.6 libreadline.so.8

I read on freebsd-ports emailing list that such a kludge is dubious, but figured there was no choice.

and then re-portmastered devel/libtool, and got /usr/local/bin/libtoolize with 129197 bytes, now hope this is the correct one and will work for things that depend on libtoolize.

It looks like devel/readline, maybe also lang/gawk, should be listed as a dependency for libtool.

I portmastered multimedia/libva apparently successfully, one port that was snagged by the zero-byte /usr/local/bin/libtoolize.

Tom