USES=fortran can't mix with the libraries requiring /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 from the base

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Fri Dec 25 02:29:02 UTC 2015

On 24/12/2015 01:04, Diane Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 04:35:29AM -0800, Yuri wrote:

>> What is the general solution for this problem? Is there a non-gcc
>> version of fortran?
>
> No there is currently no clang version of Fortran. 'flang' was a SOC project
> to bring in clang support for fortran but it is moribund. The
> clang guys are the ones you should bug. In any case, the Fortran spec
> now requires quad math support so that would have to be provided as well.
>

>> One thing is when gcc is required because clang can't compile something,
>> and another things is when fortran language requires it. The latter is
>> here to stay.
>>
>> Can there be the separate fortran from gcc that is build with clang? Or
>> can we switch /usr/ports/lang/gccNN to be always built with the base
>> clang? I know this is certainly possible.
>
> No. The core problem is due to our version of libgcc not having quadmath
> support.

Maybe the quadmath files could be taken out to make a standalone library.

Another possibility might be DragonEgg, though it doesn't appear to
have been updated for a while.

http://dragonegg.llvm.org/

"DragonEgg is a gcc plugin that replaces GCC's optimizers and code
generators with those from the LLVM project. It works with gcc-4.5 or
newer, can target the x86-32/x86-64 and ARM processor families, and has
been successfully used on the Darwin, FreeBSD, KFreeBSD, Linux and
OpenBSD platforms. It fully supports Ada, C, C++ and Fortran. It has
partial support for Go, Java, Obj-C and Obj-C++."

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler