Perl 5.20 breaks /usr/bin/perl

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Tue Aug 18 23:36:24 UTC 2015

> Yes, it does not create a /usr/bin/perl symlink, starting with Perl 5.20.

I'm curious about the logic behind this (automatic symlink removal without a
large warning message)?  It would seem to come with a high cost and little
(any?) benefit.  Shouldn't this at least be a dialog option?

> If you still need one, and are not using some common shebang, like
> /usr/local/bin/perl, which still works, or /usr/bin/env perl, which also
> still works, create one yourself.

/usr/bin/env may or may not work depending on the PATH it inherits.  A symlink
to /usr/bin would be best practice considering how many perl scripts specify
this path, how many FreeBSD end-users are likely to be negatively impacted,
how few might be positively impacted, and how it's removal will make it that
much harder to advocate for FreeBSD's otherwise good cross-platform and
cross-version compatibility.

Roger