Perl 5.20 breaks /usr/bin/perl

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sun Aug 16 08:27:04 UTC 2015

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 21:38:22 +0200
Mathieu Arnold <mat at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> +--On 15 août 2015 22:25:47 +0200 Xavier <xavier at groumpf.org> wrote:

[snip]

> | IMHO, the port should at least emit a warning, since almost every Perl
> | program I'm aware of (including those I wrote for 20 years, since
> | MacPerl) use shebang /usr/bin/perl. I even remember it's mentioned in the
> | Camel Book.
>
> It was mentionned in UPDATING, in the 20150513 entry, the one
> explaining how you upgrade from 5.18 to 5.20 :-)

Although it was mentioned in UPDATING there could be problems for users
who rely entirely on pkg and never build from ports. Many of these
users will not have, nor need, an up to date ports tree in which case
they will not be aware of this.

IMHO the note about the symlink having been removed should also have
been included as pkg-message.

--
Mike Clarke