Self committing... allowed or not?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Aug 5 10:51:59 UTC 2015

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 04/08/2015 17:28, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
> > I would like to know how hard would it be for our FreeBSD experts to
> > hack SVN to allow port maintainers commit to individual ports to speed
> > up the process :p ?
>
> Technically that's probably not too difficult.  Debian has a system like
> that, using PGP signatures for authentication, which we could probably
> steal^Wcopy without too much trouble.
>
> The real kicker though is about maintaining code quality.  This is
> pretty much why committers exist: they are people who have shown
> competence in dealing with src / ports / docs whatever and have
> demonstrated they can maintain standards.  One of a committers primary
> functions is to either fix or get the submitter to fix problems with
> submissions before committing.
>
> Now, it's almost certainly true that many port maintainers who aren't
> already committers would be perfectly competent at updating their own
> ports.  Chances are though if such a maintainer has been sufficiently
> active and has submitted enough to establish their competence then
> they'd be a definite prospect as a full-blown committer anyhow. ie. if
> you're good enough to commit changes to your own ports, then you're
> pretty much good enough to commit changes to any port, so you might as
> well have a ports commit bit.

Number of commiters ? I vaguely recall about 300 or 400 ?
  {
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/staff-committers.html
	Contains one friend who said he'd resigned his commit bit.
	So maybe list out of date.
  https://wiki.freebsd.org/BecomingACommitter
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/committers-guide/committer.types.html
	A quick skim shows no number
  }

Number of Ports Maintainers: 1567
  {
  cd /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports
  find . -type f -name Makefile | xargs grep MAINTAINER > /tmp/ports_named
  find . -type f -name Makefile | xargs grep -h MAINTAINER > /tmp/ports_unnamed
  wc -l po*
    24295 ports_named
    24295 ports_unnamed
  sort ports_unnamed| uniq | grep @  ... a spot of vi trimming of spaces tabs
  & ?= & = to reduce variance & allow uniq to strip more ...
  A few of those addresses will be @freebsd list names, & some people at freebsd
  }

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply after previous text, like a play - Not before, which looses context.