Proposal to fix postgresql package maintainance nightmare

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Tue Aug 4 21:27:22 UTC 2015

> 4 aug 2015 kl. 14:33 skrev Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Michael Grünewald <michipili at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 21 Jul 2015, at 11:46, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> - Impossible to have tools from both old and new version at the same time (which
>>> is necessary to upgrade db and prepare upgrades of db) …
>>
>> Could not jails be used to solve these issues by running the two (…) required versions
>> in jailed environments?  There is a little bit of setup, but if by any chance you
>> are using some variation of the immutable server pattern, it should stay very low.
>
> You can't ask an average FreeBSD user who just wants to upgrade
> his/her PostgreSQL installation to set up jails that would be only
> used for one task. The upgrade should be achievable with just 'pkg
> upgrade' without any extra work.
>
> -Kimmo

True. Also, pg_upgrade cannot operate using different jails.

But for some ppl, jails if definitely a solution. The problem we're trying to solve is not that, though, it is when not using jails. Supporting pg_upgrade is one of my main concerns, and also the ability to run several postgresql versions simultaneously for whatever reason.

Palle