Problems with update to print/tex-luatex

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Mon Aug 3 21:03:55 UTC 2015

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:04:19 -0700
Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I tried updating print/tex-luatex today, the install phase
> failed with a number of missing files. The log showed that the port
> uses luatex in the install phase but fails due to a missing .so,
> poppler.so.49. This has been superseded by libpoppler.so.53, but the
> install was defaulting to the previously built binary, not the newly
> built one.
>
> I was able to get the port installed by deleting the existing port
> (pkg delete tex-luatex) and
> deleting work/.stage_done.luatex._usr_local and re-running stage and
> install.
>
> I think a note to that effect should be in UPDATING. Obviously this
> does impact new installs or poudriere build and probably not package
> installs, but it does hit upgrades.
> Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com
> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

Well, I can confirm this behavior from my today experiences with
print/tex-luatex. As a result of my upgrade attempt my old
print/tex-luatex packages was deleted.

I just upgraded all remaining TeXLive packages and tried a fresh
installation of print/tex-luatex: This time it installed just fine.

I am far from understanding these miracles but I have learned my ports
lesson: Some package refuse to upgrade while being installed - the
error messages, however are quite different.

Peter