MooseFS Ports for versions 2.0 and 3.0

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:20:05 UTC 2015

Nice work putting the ports together - its a good first effort! I have a
few comments about the format of the ports and bug reports - sorry there
are quite a few. I don't mean to be picky, but I wanted to minimise the
back-and-forth for you to get these committed.

1. Updates to existing ports should be attached as patches to the current
ports tree. The easiest way to do this if you got the ports tree from
subversion (not portsnap) is using the svn diff command. Tick the "patch"
option when attaching so we can see a nice pretty diff from within bugzilla.

2. New ports should be attached as a shar(1) file. Assuming the port is
called oneko, cd to the directory above where the oneko directory is
located, and then type: shar `find oneko` > oneko.shar

3. It's nice for ports for share parts of their configuration, but I don't
think it should be called "bsd.port.moosefs.mk" (this implies it is part of
the port build scripts). A good example of what you could do
is devel/libtool. It has a Makefile which includes Makefile.common. The
devel/libltdl port also includes "${.CURDIR}/../libtool/Makefile.common".

4. @dirrm is now deprecated in pkg-plist. Suggest it is probably easier to
build this with "make install && make makeplist > pkg-plist". Note that you
should check the plist looks correct, and also delete the top warning line
from the generated file.

5. The pkg-descr file should be updated to include a better description of
the package, and link to the website.

6. Before submitting a port, check that it passes the normal checks by
installing the ports-mgmt/portlint program, and running "portlint -AC" in
the port directory.

7. If you have access to a poudriere installation, you should submit the
"poudriere testport" logs showing that this port will build successfully.
Myself or other ports contributors/committers can help with this if you do
not have access to a poudriere installation, but please make sure you have
at least tested the build on FreeBSD with a "make install".

Much of this is covered in the porter's handbook. It's a good read if you
haven't already seen it. You can find it here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html

Note that if you re-submit patches to each bug report, be sure to tick the
option that it obsolete's the previous patch.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
Ben