mail/courier build failures on newer FreeBSD versions

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Mon May 26 07:45:46 UTC 2014

 On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Milan Obuch <freebsd-ports at dino.sk> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2014 03:29:55 +0200
> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
>> I'd suggest to let Milan work on the port and tell him the
>> constraints - for instance, that now staging needs to be addressed
>> first and then the build-on-10 issue.
>>

> OK, I already began work on staging, this was just a small side step
> fixing another issue, in my eyes easily acceptable, but when it needs
> now be done in other order, fine.
>
>> Milan, if you could share some of the troubles you're encountering,
>> people may be able to help you.
>>

> Well, I did 'make check-plist', here is part of its output:
>
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/%%MAILOWN%%d
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/esmtpd
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/esmtpd-msa
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/esmtpd-ssl
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/imapd
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/imapd-ssl
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/ldapaddressbook
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/%%CACHEOWN%%3d
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/%%CACHEOWN%%3d-ssl
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/sqwebmaild
> Error: Orphaned: %%ETCDIR%%/%%MAILOWN%%/webmlmrc
>
> It does not take much time to revert, for me, at least in this case,
> unnecessary substitution, some times a bit comic, to
>
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/courierd
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/esmtpd
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/esmtpd-msa
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/esmtpd-ssl
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/imapd
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/imapd-ssl
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/ldapaddressbook
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/pop3d
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/pop3d-ssl
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/sqwebmaild
> Error: Orphaned: etc/courier/webmlmrc

I looked at the ports Makefile, but didn't see how these files are
installed.  Are they being installed by the Courier's source
Makefile's?  If they are, you just need to stop it from creating them,
as they will be created when pkg installs the port.

> All these files are configuration files and all are handled this way:
>
> @unexec cmp -s %D/etc/courier/courierd %D/etc/courier/courierd.dist &&
> rm -f %D/etc/courier/courierd 2>/dev/null || true
> etc/courier/courierd.dist
> @exec [ -f %D/etc/courier/courierd.dist ] &&
> %%LOCALBASE%%/share/sysconftool/sysconftool %D/etc/courier/courierd.dist
>
> which does create them if they do not exist copying <file>.dist as
> template on install and if they are still the same on unistall, they
> are deleted. This way user configuration does not get lost across
> upgrades, and sysconftool merges new configuration items when they are
> introduced.
>
> This behavior is broken when I add these files into pkg-plist, they are
> simply deleted on uninstall and user-made changes in configuration is
> lost. How should this issue be solved? I think there should be a method
> to tell 'this file should be specially handled, ignore it, it is not an
> orphan' for make check-plist...

The new way to specify sample configuration files is to use the
@sample keyword in the pkg-plist:

@sample etc/courier/courierd.sample
@sample etc/courier/esmtpd.sample
@sample etc/courier/esmtpd-msa.sample
@sample etc/courier/esmtpd-ssl.sample
@sample etc/courier/imapd.sample
@sample etc/courier/imapd-ssl.sample
@sample etc/courier/ldapaddressbook.sample
@sample etc/courier/pop3d.sample
@sample etc/courier/pop3d-ssl.sample
@sample etc/courier/sqwebmaild.sample
@sample etc/courier/webmlmrc.sample

Note: you would have to change the port to install the files with a
.sample suffix, instead of a .dist suffix.

--
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.