Discover stored options different from port defaults/defines

John W. O'Brien john at saltant.com
Mon Mar 31 14:47:07 UTC 2014

On 3/30/14 10:21 PM, Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 17:13:15 -0400
> "John W. O'Brien" <john at saltant.com> wrote:
>
>> [blah blah blah]

[...]
>> The first part of my solution to these problems is to store only the
>> options that I know I care about. That is, I know I need to find out
>> where a stored option disagrees with the default.
>>
>> I couldn't figure out how to use the stock tools to peel apart currently
>> stored options from current default options, so I wrote a
>> ``nondefaultconfig`` target for Mk/bsd.port.mk (see attached), set all
>> the common options (DOCS, IPv6, etc) explicitly in /etc/make.conf using
>> OPTIONS_SET/OPTIONS_UNSET, and ran the new target against all of my
>> installed ports, replacing a subtree full of options files with a
>> single, quite modest make.conf. To make this more generally-useful, it
>> would need to behave more like NEW_OPTIONS.
>>
>>    cd /usr/ports
>>    pkg info -aoq | sort | xargs -n1 make nondefaultconfig -C \
>>         >> /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/$jail-make.conf
>>    rm -fr /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d/$jail-$ports-$set-options

[...]
> I found this posting useful to find OPTIONS:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?CAOjFWZ45ACYnaByYxxrGoyqTOeS7_EDV6MwoH98-GtDe-F3Yug
>
> The mailing list archives seem to be missing for the past month PR187557
> so here an excerpt from my notes:
>
>> On 3/4/2014 9:40 AM, Thierry Thomas wrote:
>> from within a port's directory,
>>
>> make showconfig
>>
>> will show you the current options set and
>>
>> make __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null PORT_DBDIR=/var/empty showconfig
>>
>> will show you the defaults.
>
> See make(1)'s -C option for specifying ports pathname.
>
> It shouldn't take too much to write a small script and find
> the diff in the output for each command.

Randy,

I like that this approach doesn't muck with /usr/ports/Mk/. I doubt I
would have discovered __MAKE_CONF on my own, but now that I know to look
for it, I see that it's covered early in make(1):

     First of all, the initial list of specifications will be read from
     the system makefile, sys.mk, unless inhibited with the -r option.
     The standard sys.mk as shipped with FreeBSD also handles
     make.conf(5), the default path to which can be altered via the
     make variable __MAKE_CONF.

-John