Samba to web

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Fri Jan 31 17:27:43 UTC 2014

Hello.

I'm in need of some suggestion about what software to use: I have a
Samba server which I need to make visibile to users outside of its network.

The users will be known (and the same who work from inside), so they
will use the same credentials they directly use with Samba and should
see, from the outside, the same folders they see from inside.

The only strange requirement is that, from the outside, they should only
be able to read, not write.

VPNs are not a good choice: users are not teechies and they can't set
them up themselves; OTOH I don't have access to the client computers,
which could also change over time or be occasional stations. Furthermore
I don't think I can achieve read-only behaviour this way.

I was thinking more about some kind of web interface and I came up with
some search results:
_ smb2www was in the port tree, but removed a couple of years ago; maybe
I could try to download and hack it;
_ there's SMB Web Client (http://sourceforge.net/projects/smbwebclient/)
_ Davenport (which brings WebDav in),
_ Others?

Before I start digging them all, has anyone faced this task before?
Any hint?

  bye & Thanks
	av.